MAT 425, Numerical Analysis II , Spring 2011 (TuTh 12noon at LL 221)
Dr. Bin Cheng
Office hours (TBA) at PSA841
Academic Integrity and
Course description: Analysis of and algorithms for numerical interpolation, integration, and differentiation. Numerical solution of ordinary and partial differential equations, introductory level. Applications. Fluency in computer programming is required for success in this course.
- Textbook. Scientific Computing: A Introductory Survey (Author: Michael T. Heath; Publisher: McGraw-Hill; 2nd Ed.)
- Tentative time line (PDF). Important dates: Midterm March 10; Final May 5.
- Enrollment requirements. Pre-requisites: MAT 274 or 274, "Differential Equations" with C or better. Recommended preparations: knowledge of Linear Algebra (matrix operations and eigenvalue/vector) and Advanced Calculus (limit and convergence). Experiences with Matlab (preferred) or other programming languages.
- Grades. Homework 30%; Midterm 30%; Final 40%.
- Homework (The due time is at midnight for both hard copy and electronic copy. The ONLY acceptable electronic format is a single PDF file with your name and HW number in the title.)
- Other materials