MAT 274, Fall 2011 (meet: MWF 10:45am -- 11:35am at PSA 118)
Dr. Bin Cheng (email: [my last name] at [math] dot [asu] dot [edu])
Office hours M,W,Th 9-10am at PSA 836.
MCC (Math Community Center) hours Tu 10-11am at PSA 303.
Academic Integrity and
Final Exam: 9:50 - 11:40 AM, Monday, Dec 12, 2011 at PSA 118 (regular classroom)
| Announcement: Test 3. Tuesday Nov 22 (no time limit) at Testing Center
No notes or books. Calculator OK!|
Range: Chapter 5 except 5.4, and 5.6, that is NO multiple(repeated) eigenvalues, NO nonhomogeneous systems|
| Announcement: Review session|
1pm-3pm, December 7th, PSA 118 (regular classroom)|
Midterm Exams. Notice the different locations!
Mid-1: Tu. Sep 20. (2 hours max) at Testing Center
Mid-2: M. Oct 24. (10:45am -- 11:35am) in class
Mid-3: Tu. Nov 22. (no time limit) at Testing Center
Course description (PDF)
Please bookmark this link to WebWork, where you can find part of this course's assignments. This moodle website has record of your HW and test scores.
- Written homework (The due time is at midnight for both hard copy and electronic copy. The ONLY acceptable electronic format is a single PDF file with "HW_number_Your_Full_Name" in the title. Please try to make the file size under 1M; this could be done by NOT using the "color" option in you scanner software. Using a lower resolution could also help. Thanks!)
- HW1. Plus: the last two problems of Webwork Set 03 "Modeling"; show all your work.
Due, M 8/29.
Important changes: Problem 5 in HW1 and the last two problems of Webwork Set 03 "Modeling" are moved to HW2!
- HW2. Due, (postponed) F 9/9
- HW3. Due, F 9/16 Important change: on the very last line, one of the sin should be cos. Sorry!
HW4. Due, F 9/23
- HW5. Due, M 10/3
- HW6. Due, M 10/10
- HW7. Due, 11:59pm, T 10/25. Note: for problem 3, eigenvectors are given here.
HW8. Due, M 10/31
- HW9. Due, M 11/7
- HW10. Due, W 11/16
- HW11. Due, M 11/28
These are problems from the textbook with answers available. But, you have to show all your work by hand, that includes calculating the inverse of a 2-by-2 matrix.
$5.5, Note: for this section, in addition, indicate the types of the only equilibrium (0,0) of each system --- source or sink, saddle or nodal or spiral? Problem 1, 3, 16, 17
$5.6, Note: only use variation of parameters and/or integrating factors. Problem 18, 21, 26
- HW12. Due, T 12/6. Also, remember Webwork due M 12/5.
Note: skip all the graphing parts of the following problems; instead, sketch and copy the graphs from the textbook. Focus on the theoretical and calculation aspects. It is not necessary to calculate the eigenvectors, for this sake.
$6.2. Problem 3, 5, 7, 13, 15, 17 (graphs on page 557, 558)
$6.3. Problem 4-7 (first graph on page 562), Problem 11-13 (first graph on page 410)
- Other materials