MAT 274, Fall 2010
Dr. Bin Cheng
Office hours M,W,Th 9-10am at PSA841
Academic Integrity and
Course description (PDF)
New course description (PDF) in which the prerequisites are changed.
- Test 1 is on Friday, September 24th, in class. It'll cover Chapter 1-3, especially the sections specified as below for HW 1, 2, 3.
- Test 2 is on Friday, October 22th, in class. It'll cover Chapter 3.4 -- 3.6 (sans variation of parameters), 4.1, 5.1 -- 5.2.
- Homework (regarding e-submission of HW)
- HW1 Readings: Section 1.1, 1.3 -- 1.5
Changes made to Problem 2.
- HW2 Readings: Section 1.5, 2.1 -- 2.3
- HW3 (due date postponed to Monday, Sep 20). Readings: Section 2.2 (esp. page 97-98), Section 3.1 -- 3.6
- HW4 (due Oct 4). Readings: Section 3.1 -- 3.5
- Problem (2v), the LHS of the DE should be y''(x)-9y(x), instead of y''(x)-9y'(x).
- Only turn in Problem 1 & 2 on Monday.
- HW5 (due Oct 13). Readings: Section 4.1, 5.1, 5.2 (till Example 2).
Change: Problem 1, mass=1.
- HW6 (due Oct 29).
Change: Problem 1, the left-hand side of the DE should be, x''+x'+3x+.....
- HW7 (due Nov 05).
- HW8 (due Nov 12). Change: in Problem 1,the LSH of the last equation should have a factor of (lower case) "a".
Another change: in Problem 2c), there should a blank for matrix inverse before the (0.5,1) vector.
- HW9 (due Nov 29).
- HW10 (due Dec 7 or in Monday class).
- Other materials
- Sample exams for test 1 (both took 120 minutes). This one (sans Part I #6 and Part II #5); Another one (sans # 1b, 2b, 3, 5, 8, 9).
- Solutions to HW1,
- Practice problems for Section 3.1 --- 3.3 with answers.
- Practice problems for Section 3.5 with answers; more with answers.
- Practice problems for Section 3.4 with answers.
- A cool interactive webpage about damped oscillations --- refresh the page when it locks itself.
- A cool interactive webpage about forced oscillations --- refresh the page when it locks itself.
- Quiz 3 and answer.
- Practice problems for Chapter 4 and 5 with answers. Sample exams this one and another one --- only those problems that are consistent with the Syllabus.
- Solutions to HW6,
- Practice for Test 3. In this one, read 2b, 3a, 3b, 5a, 5b, 8a; this one, read 7, 10; this one, read page 10-15.
- Things you should know about the Final Exam.
- Solutions to HW9, HW10.
- Some sample problems for the test -- Note that they are in no way comprehensive; see Things you should know about the Final Exam for a complete list.
- In this one, 1a) 2 3a) 4 5 6 7a) 8 are relevant;
- In this one, 1a)b) 4 5 6 7 9 10 are relevant.