- meteorological and computational science,
- data assimilation methods, particularly four-dimesional variational assimilation methods
- enhanced computer power
- enhanced remote sensing capabilities from space.
The presentation will
- describe current methods for assimilating satellite data in numerical models,
- give examples on the use of both active and passive remote sensors,
- give examples of the impact of the satellite data on forecast skill.
The presentation will conclude with a forward look to the extension of the methodologies of numerical weather prediction to build a global and consistent capability for monitoring the Earth-system (atmosphere and atmospheric composition, land vegetation and ocean, all on scales larger than 50km, using in-situ and satellite data.