a guide to finding your way around the university webspace
brought to you by Lloyd Wood and Spacesearch
Here you can search any or all of the
departments or services of the University of Surrey for information. A guide to University schools and departments is also available, as is my guided tour of the University. Other search tools elsewhere enable you to
search the UK academic internet or
view a map
of UK universities.
This uses a simple keyword search system. Either select the server you wish to search
from the topmost form on this page, or scroll down to look through the
University structure and find the department of interest to you.
Then just click on the related text-entry box, type the words you wish to
search for in the text entry box, then press the
Find button alongside.
Put phrases that you wish to search for in quotes, e.g.
If you prefer, a framed search interface is provided for convenience.
Where available as an option, the Surrey Muscat search service
is arguably a good choice, as it holds a focused index of local material.
However, Muscat has never indexed all campus servers - indexing the largest
servers would be too large a load for the machine it's running on - and it has
extremely limited search functionality. Muscat doesn't index
the School once known as the School of Electronic Engineering,
Information Technology and Mathematics or Economics, for example.
A Muscat search of all
of the University is no more complete than a search using an external service would be, and that magnifying glass focusing on North Africa (that Apollo 17 shot! Again!)
suggests its lack of local focus.
The university search service has begun using Google's free university service, which will at least cover all public university servers to some extent. You can bookmark Google's Surrey search page.
Of the public search engines, Hotbot used to hold the largest public index of Surrey content, followed
Altavista. These days, Altavista does okay,
but who uses anything other than Google?
The default search engine given is (or was) usually the best choice, at least
for simple text searches.
Read tips on using the selected search engine by pressing the help
Do note that only pages publically available to the entire world
are indexed and searched; campus- or department-restricted pages will not
appear in the search results. And please read my
disclaimer before you send me comments.
There are Yahoo UK categories
for the University
information on Guildford is also available, as is information on travelling to campus and maps.
You may be interested in knowing that the Departments of Electronic Engineering,
Sociology provide the
largest quantities of web
information, while, at only one page until comparatively recently, the Department
of Dance Studies provided the smallest.
This free search service
is provided as is, with no warranty or guarantee.
The indexing technique used may not catalogue all pages of interest to you,
and may not return pointers to all such pages to you, particularly if those
pages are recently added or changed.
Availability of the service depends on a vast number of factors, all of which
are entirely beyond my control.
I am not responsible for any failure in or loss of this service, or for any
losses resulting from or damages incurred by your over-reliance on this service.
- University of Surrey
Here you can search all of campus.
Guide to schools and departments
If you have some idea which department or service the information that you
are looking for belongs to, you can use the individual search forms, below,
to narrow and speed your search.
These forms reflect current University organisation as much as possible, although keeping track of the internal
Schools structure (which webpages always lag) is rather difficult. However, they're mainly concerned with
internal web server organisation; departments without any web servers at all are not well represented here.
This page is ordered engineering first, then physical sciences, then humanities,
followed by services and administration and individuals' servers.
You may also be interested in the Postgraduate Students Association and the Surrey Alumni Society.
- School of Electronics and Physical Sciences
- previously known as the School of Electronics, Computing and Mathematics, formerly known as the School of Electronic Engineering, Information Technology & Mathematics. Now including the Department of Physics and known as the School of Electronics and Physical Sciences (SEPS)
from 1 August 2002.
- Mathematical and Computing Sciences
- This has split into separate Maths and
Computing departments with their own servers.
- Electronic Engineering
- Graduates tripping down memory lane might want to check out the Surrey Electronic & Electrical Engineers Graduates' Association before joining up at the Surrey Alumni society.
- Centre for Communications Systems
- Since I've studied there, it gets a form.
- School of Engineering
- includes the former School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering and School of Engineering in the Environment.
Also includes the Centre for Biomedical Engineering (old pages, alternate DNS).
- Mechatronic Systems and Robotics Research Group (MSRR)
- Mechanical and Materials Engineering (MME)
- ERCOFTAC Fluid Dynamics
requires you to subscribe for most of its content. It's now ostensibly moved to this machine, but as you'll see from querying the search engine (for, say, transition) it's still holding a lot of content.
- ERCOFTAC Fluid Dynamics
free access to data collected in 1995.
- Chemical and Process Engineering (CPE)
- Civil Engineering
- Centre for Environmental Strategy (CES)
- School of Physical Sciences
- previously known as the School of Physics and Chemistry. Physics merged with another school as
of 1 August 2002.
- They're also running the
Chemistry intranet server (Surrey only) where you'd expect to find
the departmental server.
- Chemistry RS/6000 server
- Polymer Research Centre
- Computing in Teaching Initiative
(CTI) Centre for Physics
- School of Biomedical and Molecular Sciences
- formerly known as the School of Biological Sciences.
The Centre for
Biomedical Engineering is actually part of the School of Engineering.
- Biological Sciences
- ClifMar Associates
- University-owned company selling antibody purification technologies.
- Human Psychopharmacology Research Unit
They've also registered their own virtual server.
- Stockgrand Ltd
- University-owned company measuring melatonin and cortisol body rhythm markers.
- European Institute of Health and Medical Sciences (EIHMS)
- School of Human Sciences
- They also run the Question Bank.
- School of Arts
- a recent reorganisation.
- Linguistic, Cultural and International Studies
- English Language Institute (ELI)
- merged with the ELTC, below, to form the TLC. Now a research group?
- The Language Centre
- This was the European Language Teaching Centre (ELTC). As usual,
old content has been discarded, without implementing Apache RedirectPermanents.
- School of Educational Studies
- School of Performing Arts
- may now be part of the School of Arts.
- Institute of Sound Recording
- Dance Studies
- National Resource Centre for Dance (NRCD)
- Theatre and Performance Studies
- School of Management Studies for the Service Sector
- also incorporating the Department of Management Studies. The Surrey European Management School, below, was entirely separate and managed itself - although they're now both part of a new School of Management.
- Surrey European Management School (SEMS)
- Note that we have two management schools, each managing itself.
See above for the other one.
Some people have expressed their concerns about this school, as recently reported in THES.
There's a Greek affiliate.
- Students' Union
- The Union is now running its own Ents web server. The move from their pages on the main Surrey webserver is recent (and ill-advised, if you ask me); the form below indexes the content on the main webserver.
- Clubs and Societies
- Surrey Services and Administration
Catering is online on the
Portal Oracle server -- whatever that is.
There's now the University bookshop, too. Can't wait for the hairdresser's to put up a website...
Student health centre lives
on the main Surrey server.
- Management Information Services (MIS)
- They also run an campus-wide internal-only server.
- Library and Information Services
- They run the library catalogue and libweb.
- Computing Services
- was University Computing Services.
- Chaplains and Religious Societies
- It's just the Campus and Varsity sports centres... not on the university
- Other servers
- located somewhere on the University network.
- One of a number
of virtual webservers dedicated to projects. Another example is
Satin. Since project lifetimes
are finite and top-level vanity DNS registrations must be renewed,
such names are unlikely to be permanent.
- Silicon processing and manufacturing masters
- bringing the Internet to the local Tesco's supermarket.
- an indirect way of contacting an expert with a webpage at the University.
Also local webpages whose
domain registration won't expire.
- Individuals' servers
- Most students and staff have directories on departmental servers.
Try looking at the guides to people in Elec Eng (listing does not reflect webserver contents well),
in people in Maths & Computing,
and so on.
- operated by Frank Suffling.
- operated by Thomas Krichel.
- Surrey Research Park
- Some of the companies here are affiliated with the University, but, oddly, many University
companies have spent years squeezed onto campus, while the research park is rented out to others. The companies
that are located on campus are listed above. The companies whose webservers are located
on the campus network are listed below; BBC Southern Counties Radio is located on campus,
but its webpages aren't. See also the Surrey Technology Centre, whose webpages are located on campus. Like the Research Park webpages, really. SETsquared provides local enterpreneur support.
- Surrey Satellite Technology Limited (SSTL)
- Formerly a university-owned company, now located in
the Surrey research park.
And now DMC International Imaging is a subsidiary.
- Southern Medical
- Company not affiliated with the University as far as I know;
webserver is on our network.
- Advanced Showers
- not affiliated with the University; the webserver merely used to be on the university
network. Oh, the University is a customer.
Having said all that, if there are problems you think I could fix, or
improvements that could be made, send me a comment and let me know.
This search page was made possible by the ineffable power of
this page last updated 8 October 2004