Light Emitting Diodes for intersatellite links - LEDs4ISLs
A variety of work has been done on using LEDs for short-range intersatellite links:
- Link Performance Improvement via Design Variables Optimization in LED-Based VLC System for Inter-satellite Communication, D. N. Amanor, W. W. Edmonson and F. Afghah, IEEE International Conference on Wireless for Space and Extreme Environments (WiSEE), Montreal, Canada, October 2017.
Utility of Light Emitting Diodes for Inter-Satellite Communication in Multi-Satellite Networks, D. N. Amanor, W. W. Edmonson and F. Afghah, IEEE International Conference on Wireless for Space and Extreme Environments (WiSEE), Aachen, Germany, September 2016. (DOI 10.1109/WiSEE.2016.7877315).
- Visible Light Communication System for Intersatellite Communication of Small Satellites, D. N. Amanor, W. W. Edmonson and A. I. Anyanhun, Small Satellites Systems and Services - 4S Symposium, Valetta, Malta, June 2016.
- Building and Evaluating COTS Based Optical Interlinks for Nanosatellites, T. Idriss and M. Bayoumi, 24th IEEE Conference on Computer Communication and Networks (ICCCN), Las Vegas, Nevada, August 2015 (DOI 10.1109/ICCCN.2015.7288381).
- Intersatellite Links, L. Wood, United States Patent Application 20100279604, filed 4 May 2009, application published 4 November 2010. Rejected, suggesting that the basic idea is unencumbered and unpatentable.
- Using Light-Emitting Diodes for intersatellite links, L. Wood, W. D. Ivancic and K.-P. Dörpelkus, IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, Montana, March 2010 (DOI 10.1109/AERO.2010.5446711).
Other work discussing exploiting Fraunhofer lines as relatively noise-free channels for in-space links includes:
ShindaiSat and FITSAT-1 demonstrated LED communications to ground. LEDs can also be used for satellite tracking, as planned with LEDSAT (Facebook page).
- A LED-based Technology to improve the orbit determination of LEO satellite, S. Masillo et al., IAC-17,A6,9,5,x41229, International Astronautical Congress (IAC), Adelaide, September 2017.
- LEDSAT: In-Orbit Demonstration Mission for LED-based cluster launch early identification and improved LEO Surveillance, A. Pellegrino et al., IAC-17,A6,10-B4.10,8,x41050, International Astronautical Congress (IAC), Adelaide, September 2017.
- LEDSAT: Design of a cubesat equipped with LEDs as a calibration target, P. Seitzer et al., 7th European Conference on Space Debris, European Space Operations Centre (ESOC), April 2017.
- LEDsats: LEO CubeSats with LEDs for Optical Tracking, P. Seitzer et al., Proceedings of the Advanced Maui Optical and Space Surveillance Technologies Conference (AMOS Technologies), Wailea, Maui, Hawaii, September 2016.
- Development and operations of nano-satellite FITSAT-1 (NIWAKA), Takushi Tanaka, Yoshiyuki Kawamura and Takakazu Tanaka, Acta Astronautica 107 (2015), pp. 112-129.