CLEO: Cisco router in low Earth orbit - Papers by Keith Hogie et al.
This paper places the work with CLEO in context with earlier OMNI
Operating Missions as Nodes on the Internet work.
Rash, Hogie & Criscuolo receive an FAI award
K. Hogie, E. Criscuolo and R. Parise, Using standard Internet Protocols and applications in space, Computer
Networks, special issue on Interplanetary Internet, vol. 47 no. 5, pp. 603-650, April 2005.
This paper discusses approaches for using standard Internet technologies to meet the communication needs of future space missions.
Abstract of paper. This is a US Government work not protected by US copyright. Full paper
The Disaster Monitoring Constellation's approach to communication and the CLEO router in orbit work were possible because of the work Hogie et al. had done in bringing HDLC (High-Level Data Link Control) serial links onboard the earlier UoSAT-12.
- NASA Project Recognized for Work with Internet-Equipped Satellites, Robert Garner, NASA Goddard Flight Center, 19 February 2008.
- K. Hogie, E. Criscuolo and R. Parise, Putting more Internet nodes in space, CSC World, Computer Sciences Corporation, pp. 21-23, April/June 2006.
- J. L. Rash, K. Hogie, R. Casasanta, Internet technology for future space missions (NASA report mirror), Computer Networks, special issue on Interplanetary Internet, vol. 47 no. 5, pp. 651-659, April 2005.
- J. Rash, R. Parise, K. Hogie, E. Criscuolo, J. Langston, C. Jackson and H. Price, Internet access to spacecraft, Proceedings of the 14th AIAA/USU Conference on Small Satellites, August 2000.
- older OMNI papers.
Hogie also discussed bringing layering and HDLC to Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems (CCSDS) protocols. CCSDS is a subgroup of the International Standards Organisation (ISO) and HDLC is a full ISO protocol. It is entirely reasonable to expect ISO protocols coming from the same standards organisation to work together...
- Including HDLC Framing in CCSDS Recommendations, J. Rash, K. Hogie, E. Crisculo and R. Parise, Space Internet Workshop, June 2004.
- Proposal to Add an HDLC Framing Option to CCSDS, J. Rash, K. Hogie, E. Crisculo and R. Parise, CCSDS, October 2003.